Secret to pretty Chalkboard writing!

Guess what?

I am probably the last person in the world to find this out……

But there is a secret to getting that really “white” pop when you write on your chalkboard.

I thought it was chalkboard pens that people were using…..but, whatever you do……DON’T BUY THEM! They stain your boards!Many of you have written me about using the chalk “pens” and had the same issues.

We all agree…….chalk pens are evil. Amen.

Christmas 2013 3

Nope. No chalk pen or fancy chalk thingy to get this kind of look!

It’s easier than that.

Christmas 2013 9

That’s not a secret mixture.

Christmas 2013 10

Water plus chalk equals bright pop of white!

How many of you knew this already?

Just dip your chalk in water…..for realz, and it transforms your chalk “writing” into chalk “art”!

When you start writing….give it a second, at first it looks light….then it dries darker and darker and darker……

AND POP!

Christmas 2013 8

Pretty cool, isn’t it?

When I start out….I wipe my boards with a wet “bar mop” cloth.

~GASP~

Damp rags will NOT kill your chalkboard. I promise.

I have made about one thousand chalkboards and if you don’t believe me, look up chalkboards on my blog.

I know my chalkboards, people.

But none-the-less, a damp rag has never killed one yet.

When you use wet chalk, it  is “harder” to erase. The wet bar mop cloths are perfect for a light scrub. They will leave it perfectly clean!

So, clean your board and get your water and you are ready!

If you mess up….it’s all good. Use your q-tips in water for touch ups. Mess up big? Use your bar cloth to clean in between…..

Christmas 2013 6

This is my second “fancy” piece. It is a bit “rough” but will get easier the more I do it. I find fun fonts or prints online and try to “copy” their style. This one had so many people using it that I didn’t really know who to credit as I couldn’t find an “original” source. If you search on Pinterest “chalkboard art”, you can get a ton of ideas.

Get some water, chalk, rags and have fun!

Christmas Chalk Art YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 3

Now….do you think I am ignoring the elephant in the room?

You know, the fact that you haven’t heard from me in a bit?

I’m not.

I have missed you guys!

Life and family have had to take priority for a little while.

Kids have moved out. ( Due to age NOT bad circumstances)

I about had a melt down when both kids moved out. (Surely because of circumstances and NOT my age)

Daddy was sick.

Daddy is better.

Thanksgiving came.

Thanksgiving went.

Another couple of “spots” and the yucky “C” word again. So, surgery for an “aggressive” skin cancer on my face is scheduled on December 13th. An itchy freckle and a tiny red “bump” equaled one pre-melanoma and one an aggressive skin cancer.

Life is hard.

But God is Good!

So…I am still here and I miss you all. I hope you can use the wet chalk tip. So many things have happened in my life lately, that I would actually stop and think……”I need to share this with my readers!”.

This time…….I made myself stop.

I wanted to share this fun “chalkboard” tip that I just learned with you.

Can you use this tip?

Have you already tried it?

I can’t wait to find out.

PS. I felt the need to clarify. My kids are good! One moved out into an apartment with friends right across from the university he is attending. Five.Miles.Away. I about died. Daughter in OUR garage apartment. I.About.Died. Ok…so they aren’t that far away. Don’t judge! I’m struggling people! ; ) And everything else…all minor. Just wanted to touch base in a busy time. Love you all! XO!

Comments

1. Ron says:

Who knew? Now I know. Thanks for sharing with us. xo

2. Stephanie says:

So good to hear from you!!!

Praying for you during this difficult time…

3. Debbie says:

Hey girl, I sharing this on FB so everyone will have pretty chalkboards ;)
    Debbie

4. Hi Rebecca, thanks for this tip! I have a few of the evil chalk pens that I probably need to throw away now that you’ve told me how to do this. Your chalkboard art looks awesome. Sorry to hear that so many things are going on in your life and I’m saying a little prayer for you!

5. Jen Y says:

The empty nest is Hard! My son was still living at home last June & now he’s married. He’s an adult (20) with a wife, a job & car payment & doing very well but I how I miss being 1st in his life.

I’ve used the wt chalk before & I love how much it improves my chalk art. I have a chalkboard Pinterest board with tons of ideas & fonts to try.

6. Kerry Oliver says:

So sorry you are struggling. No judging, just glad to hear from you. Blessings on you and yours.

Thank you for taking the time to give us this tip. I will give it a try.

7. Karin says:

Oh man. Thank you I obviously was the last person in the world to know this about wet chalk. Lol. So glad you are back. We missed you
    Hugs
    Karin

8. Stacey says:

Oh how I have missed you!!!! I am so sorry that things have been difficult-we have been so busy with life & goings on that I haven’t gotten to read any blogs in FOREVER! I thought I was just behind & did not realize that you had been MIA, too. Praying that they get the C word taken care of for you. Glad your Daddy is doing better! My Daddy is still very sick-he was able to travel to MS from Illinois to have a visit with everyone last week. Praying that is not the last time that my children get to see him. One other thing that has kept us super busy all year is that we now have a precious little grand baby!!! Lynnlee Elizabeth…born on Halloween! We were all very thankful that my Daddy was able to meet her. The kids bought a house right before we found out about the baby so all summer was a blur of all things house, nursery & baby. She is our first and we are all head over heels in love with her! Your chalkboard post comes just in time! I have my decorating finished all but my chalkboard and I was about to do some research on fancy writing! Thank you for the tip on wet chalk! Again praying for you & your family. Missing you! Much love to you!

9. Mara Scott says:

So glad you are back. You were missed. Hang in there. I have been battling the skin cancer thing too. It will get better and the health professional will take good care of you.

10. Alice Ballerscheff says:

Thank you for the great tip. I have been looking all over trying to buy a chalk pen,to no avail. Well I guess I will stop looking and dip my chalk in water. Take care.

11. Anne says:

Thanks so much for sharing this tip! I have an old frame that I want to use for my first chalkboard art attempt! Blessings!

12. Rebecca, I had wondered what had happened to you. Praying that your surgery went well. You are so right God is good and he reigns.
    Thanks for the chalk tip, it really makes sense since it intensifies the chalk applied.
    Take care of your self and Merry Christmas to you and your family,
    Ginger

13. Katie says:

This post of yours makes me giggle…..I’ve always done the same thing, just add a bit of water too :)

14. Nancy says:

I had wondered where you had gone. And no, I didn’t know about the chalk thing!! Cool! I write my kids chores on a chalkboard in our kitchen. Now, I can EMPHASIZE certain aspects of the chores that I expect to be done!!!!!!!! I’m sure that my children will be so appreciative……bahahahaha. Can’t imagine an empty nest. My girls are 12 & 15 and many days I confess I fantasize about an empty nest. Of course, our real estate office within our home and children out of school for Christmas holidays…… well……. ought to be outlawed!!! I hope you are recovering well! BREATHE…………….

15. wendi sidwell says:

oh wow……I had no idea!!! I am gonna use this tip today!!! thank you soooo much…I love my chalk too but was struggling to get a good clean line.. hugs…