Oil Rubbed Bronze Cabinet Pulls…with spray paint!

I needed a fix for my kitchen cabinets.

My old brass pulls were worn and shabby.  I had also purchased a new faucet that was “oil rubbed bronze” and now clashed with my old drawer pulls.

What’s a DIY’er to do?

Well, for a cheap DIY’er…I wasn’t shelling out almost $5.00 a “pull” for 46 cabinets.

Chuuuuuu CHING!

So……less than one can of spray paint solved my problem.

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 2

Here was my dilemma……

New kitchen faucet…loved it…but it wasn’t working with my old, worn brass pulls.

And remember….I’m a brass lover.

No excuses…I just love brass.

But these were worn out….worn off….and ugly.

No excuses there either. We LIVE in our house.

But I loved my new faucet and when I couldn’t find a white replacement when ours broke…I was in a dilemma.

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 4

Such a pretty faucet but the bronze and brass were not working!

Spray paint to the rescue!

I took my old pulls off….taped them up, making sure to tuck tape in and around the “porcelain” portion of the drawer pulls. This would help keep any spray paint on the porcelain portion of the drawer pull to a minimum.

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 8

Please hold your hand like an alien claw to do this process.

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 5

40 more to go!!!!

It truly didn’t take that long…… ; )

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 7

I used three coats. This was  a quick drying spray paint, which made the painting go super fast. Plus this new can makes application super easy as you can hold it any, which way and it goes on even.

By the time I got the steam off my lens, because it was 400 degrees outside it was too late to see that I had not focused directly on the can.

Sorry about that. I was sweating people.

It is Rustoleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze UNIVERSAL spray paint.

And all of my pulls took less than ONE can.

To take my kitchen….from brass…..

drawer pulls 1 YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com

To the oil rubbed bronze…..

Kitchen Pulls at YouAreTalkingTooMuch.com 9

Wah Lah!!!

May I just share that I have the worst kitchen in the world to take indoor pics of…..The combination of the yellow pine, green walls and bright ONE window…..

Well….just bear with me and I hope you can still see what a fun transformation you can have for so little cash!

Like the oil rubbed bronze?

Have some drawer pulls that could use a makeover?

These have not scratched and seem super sturdy. I even distressed the edges a bit to let the metallic peep through….just like my faucet.

I love it.

What do you think?

Have some drawer pulls that need an update?

I would love to know!

Comments

1. Rust N Dust says:

I just love it ! Looks great !

2. Jen Y says:

I’ll be painting my kitchen & adding new hardware this winter so I’ve been pricing & planning alot. Imgaine my thrill to find the exact same style of pulls that I want at a yard sale – 16 pulls for $1!!. The only catch was they are gold. No problem. :o ) I’ll be spray painting them the color I want. They were $2 each plus tax new so I’m saving about $30. A big deal in my budget.

3. Sherry says:

I have those exact same pulls & did the exact same thing with them!!!!
    My pulls were in our bathroom, though & they look FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!
    ♥’s
    Sherry

4. Shannon says:

I’ve needed new pulls and knobs for years in my kitchen. But as my Hubby calls me “Tina Tight-Wad” (LOL!) I could never pull the trigger on the cost of 19 knobs and 15 pulls. YIKES!!! In the middle of a kitchen refresh just a couple weeks ago I ran into the Restore Habit Store and lucked into 22 knobs at $1 ea., so bought them all just in case there was an issue. Then I hit Lowes and found pulls that went perfectly with the knobs for $1.29 ea. I was so excited!! I would have painted my old stuff but it was mismatch and some of the pulls had porcelain like yours but with flowers painted on them or broken, so no go! Now I just love how they all match my faucet and are sparkly new! Love the ORB! And it’s good to see you back. :)

5. Cori Warner says:

Your pulls look great! I always use Rustoleum spray paint when I need metallics. IMHO, they are far and away the closest to “real” metal that you can get out of a spray can. Their rubbed bronze is ALWAYS stocked on my work bench!

6. As usual… you are so smart!!! That looks amazing and I am IN LOVE with your new tap :)

7. Dona says:

I’ve used the Rustoleum Metalics for other projects and just adore it! Your kitchen takes my breath away. I love mine, but yours! OK. I just won’t look at yours anymore, ‘k? Dona

8. Dona says:

I’m sorry. I’m replying again. I just remembered I used the metalic paint the first time because of a post of yours…..when you spray painted one of those Command hooks! Don’t ever think you don’t make a difference out here in the universe!! Dona, again.

9. Sheila Moore says:

Rebecca, I just did the same thing to some brass knobs and drawer pulls. Only difference was I didn’t have either on my cabinets. So I stopped in the Restore one day and found bags of 6 for $4.50 each. Needless to say they came home with me. I painted my cabinets from 80′s oak to a nice cream color then antiqued them with stain. The knobs and pulls make the biggest difference on the cabinets. Love the ORB paint too.

10. Jaybird says:

I’ve been wondering about the durability of painting knobs, so this is a very timely post!!
    I just need to get with the program :^)
    Many thanks…..come on down and I will put you to work :^)
    I’m a pretty good cook, and I would feed you :^)
    Blessings,
    J

11. kat says:

love it
    great post. I need to try this on a light fixture.
    ..Can’t stand the shiny brass stuff anymore too
    Kat-

12. RMH says:

Looks great! I am using your idea to solve two things that have been bothering me. (1) a few of my new (cheaper) bathroom fixtures are shiny “chrome” looking. Soon they will match the “nickel” ones. (2) The terrific fireplace tools I rec’d as a gift have brass accents – but not for long! Thank you. I’m inspired. Also love reader comments suggesting ReStore and tag sales for “new” pulls.