Don’t Put Your Cart Before The Horse

Ever hear the phrase, “don’t put your cart before the horse?”

Well, I am going to share a little something to do with that phrase but I wanted to catch up first.

If you hang out with me on Facebook, then you will know that I have had jury duty all week.

Running from jury duty, to my “brick and mortar” job sucked up the majority of my time…..and I put family first when I got home (someone pat me on the back because my kids sure didn’t)  and put blogging last…..and yada, yada….you get the picture.

But…..back to “putting your cart before the horse”.

I NEVER leave fifty million projects left un-finished. Lately….it feels like that is the way, “I roll“……

Well, I have had plans to change up my dining room because my dining room table was made for the Giant that lived at the TOP of the beanstalk and was freaking HUGE.

See picture for evidence.

table craigslist 1

It doesn’t seem it but you couldn’t back the chairs up that sat near the fireplace….

Both people sitting at the end would have to get up if anyone attempted to get seconds and had to leave the fireplace side of the table.

You definitely couldn’t add a leaf because there just wasn’t room.

The chairs were big and awkward.

All of that….. and this room was barely used.

I have previously had it as a sitting room and a library full of books but I really like the idea of a functioning dining room. I have a big extended family and we always need more room for dining.

So, I had plans to create a new dining space.

And…..I wanted to be able to have a table and not have the table hide the prettiest part of the room.

dining room 3

I love my fireplace.

The table can block that view.

So……I knew I wanted change.

I just forgot to tell everyone else.

Just recently I sat down with the kids and told them that we were making “budget” cuts.

That it wold be drastic but I didn’t want them worried.

Drastic meaning….”they would feel it”.

Cable, cell phones etc. All getting down graded.

They were great.

It is good for them. A little dose of reality goes a long way.

But……I didn’t mean to totally freak them out when they unexpectadly came home to this.

dining room 1

And when I didn’t say anything about it….because I was busy….and it stayed like this for a few days…..

Ok. Over a week now.

I could see it in their faces.

Dining room 2

The youthful face of ……

Oh.My.Gosh.

Are we poor?

I am sure they were scrambling to their rooms and checking their electronics to see what I may have sold of theirs.

So, I have re-assured my children that down sizing from an i-phone plan and from digital cable to basic cable, does not make one poor.

No children, I didn’t sell the table to buy your groceries.

Your mother  just  “put the cart before the horse”.

I thought I would already have found on CL what I wanted buy, to replace the table before it sold.

I haven’t.

And I may not for a while yet…..

But I have made a great financial impact on my kids.

Try it sometime. Want to have them understand that you are cutting costs?

Do something drastic.

I did by accident and it worked perfectly.

; )

For the new space……I am thinking:

Drop leaf table used as a sofa table, behind two, upholstered chairs.

For dining…leaves pop up….upholstered go to heads of table and I am looking for antique chairs that will be placed in room as well.

But who knows…..for now the room is working great in it’s “very.own.way” : )

I am in no rush……..

Think I am mean?

Like the drastic by accident story?

What about the plans for the room? Care to give your own ideas?

I wold love to hear from you! Miss ya!

Comments

1. Jenny says:

I love it!!! I love the sweet moral of the story and that your kids didn’t question the table being gone. I love the idea of making the dining room a dual functioning sitting room/dining room. You are inspiring :)

2. The Other Me says:

I like the look of the room without the table and chairs. It really looks like a great place to have as a sitting room. As for downsizing crapola, it is amazing how easily everything seems to increase until one day you wonder how electronics took over your life. We reduced a few years ago and have to fight to keep things simple. The world seems to want everyone connected in every way possible. Can’t wait to see how the room turns out!

3. Gee says:

Oh wow!! I can so relate…. I have 2 boys and the thoughts would have been along the same vein. ‘Are we poor now?’ I just down graded the cable.. not because I had to, but because we simply do not use it. We have the package deal , you know phone, internet, cable. Highest speed as the boys do some classes online. But why soooo man y channels???? The TV’s are like permanent black boxes as we all use out laptops for movies and shows ( another feature of the cable) So I downgraded… they looked so injured!! I also down graded the phone plans.. with tablets going with them everywhere, why did they need data on the phones?? Another wounded look. The age of electronics… How did we ever survive without ipads, iphones, data, apps and all that when we were teens and young adults??? Amazing..
    Cheers, Gee

4. Shannon says:

I seriously had to laugh! We downsized last year and got rid of the digital satellite TV, went to antenna. We got rid of the house phone, upped out deductibles on our auto insurance. At the time we sat our kids down to explained that it was for a need to be out of debt and simplify. Wanting to be able to enjoy life without having to feel this large overwhelming pressure to buy-buy-buy! We cut up the credit cards, had a guy come to scrap out all the junk in the yard, garage and house. Then we sold a bunch of stuff we weren’t using on Craigslist. A few weeks into all this our kids came and asked if we were gonna sell their stuff to? Poor kids! We laughed and assured them we weren’t. They bounced back well, except once and awhile we hear about the TV! LOL!!

5. Dona says:

I wonder if something like that would work on my daughter that I live with. She’s 47. Naw, I think she’d be wise to me. But come April Fool’s Day…….hehehe

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Your plan sounds great! and from a person who doesn’t really do Facebook….how come you have time for that and not the blog?? Just askin’…….

6. Anita MW says:

on FB … see Outback Jacks Horse rescue Thrift Store – Pics on Jan. 3 – Duncan Fife 1800′s table and four chairs. fold down sides and leaf in middle … $300.00 (should I tell you this is in Canada?)
    Great idea though for small yet expandable….

7. Janet says:

You are so right. Our kids are so spoiled with electronics, etc. Good wake-up to reality, even if it wasn’t planned exactly as it happened. You do have a beautiful fireplace–I’m totally jealous–and I wouldn’t want to hide it. Your plan sounds good to me to get the most use of the room you can. If your extended family don’t all fit at the “new” table, get out the old card table, :-)

8. Carol says:

I love iT! you are much better than my mom, my mother was having a garage sale and had told my dad she wanted a new kitchen table, forever ago. Well things were selling so good outside that she just started asking people into the house to buy things. She sold the kitchen table and we sat and ate off the floor. It was great! Needless to say my dad bought that new table right away.

9. Nancy says:

oh my gosh… can’t decide which is better, re-thinking the room or re-thinking parenting strategies. My husband and I own a real estate company, so we not only sold the dining room table, but moved our office home to our dining room. Our girls thought it was cool. Just last week the older one started spouting off about needing this or that. I reminded her that we pay cash for everything & didn’t we just have Christmas? Do like our new office though….except in the summer…or Christmas holidays. Home office, children at home…NOT A GOOD IDEA!! Sorry for getting a bit off track here!!