Because it is true…….

Ok. For those of you that have been around, have you wondered where I have been?

Have you missed me at all?

I mean….I’m usually pumping out way more posts than what I have been lately.

But…if you do follow me, then you will remember that two of my sisters found out they had breast cancer. It has been about six months now.

One sister, radical mastectomy…one sister, radiation with lumpectomy.

Both….doing wonderful. Not trying to dwell on all of that.

But……..

Finding out that cancer…the ta ta kind.…..is now in my family brought on some new concerns about having health insurance.

Some of you may or may not remember but I have had my own cancer “crap” with melanoma.

So….this was a different “cancer crap” that was hitting my immediate family.

Yada, yada yada….

AND

I didn’t have health insurance.

I have been self employed and until recently carried health insurance individually. When I was diagnosed with melanoma….my insurance premium kept going up…… by the hundreds.

And I had a $10,000.00 deductible.

Seriously.

So, about a year ago….. I dropped it.

Then my sisters were diagnosed with breast cancer.

Ha!

Ain’t life grand sometimes?

Cancer.Sucks.

So…..all of that to say. I am 42 years old and I was looking straight in the face of a career change to get the stability of a job with good health benefits.

~Gulp~

I recently began working in our quaint, historical town for a friend that is an attorney.(The quaint part is because I want to share more about that later. It’s my little teaser.)

While I assist their office, I am receiving training to be a para-legal.

I am combing their real estate law with my real estate background.

Win.Win.

She needed the help and knew the training would assist me in finding a job with benefits.

So, it has been a tad overwhelming with blogging and working and being a mom and being a wife and still painting furniture to sell and keeping my booth stocked and wah.wah.wah.

AND I NEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH.

To tell you why it seems like I am a “blogging slacker”.

This is my life right now.

It just is.

It doesn’t read like a magazine.

And that’s ok.

But I need to tell you what is going on….because it is true.

And if you know me, then you will know that I have shared the “real” side of my life before. You can find it in the “because it’s true” sections.

I’m not bitter.

I’m not sad about it.

I am embracing it and thankful.

Thankful for friends that would want to hire me for skills that I have that can aid in their office.

But also for a friend willing to train me, knowing that skills that I can obtain in her office will benefit me in obtaining a job with “county” or “government” benefits.

I’m thankful that I can change careers.

I am thankful for both of my sisters healing and their health.

I am thankful for my health.

And I am thankful for all of you.

And I haven’t posted because I was thinking that I had to have some kind of FABULOUS project to reveal and it’s like I forgot how valuable you all are to me.

I didn’t start out blogging that way.

WE didn’t start out that way.

We talked about “crap”.

You helped with minor decisions.

We laughed about DIY stupidity and enjoyed DIY accomplishments.

And while I’m waiting for the big ‘ole wham bam project…well, I am keeping us apart….

And.That.Is.Stupid.

So, here I am.

I’ve been missing you.

Just so you know.

And I started a new career in October.

Just so you know.

And I’m not sure where life is leading me right now.

Just so you know.

But hey…..I did re-do an ottoman recently and it started out like this.

And ended like this.

Just so you know.

And I may still paint the legs and base because it appears to be “partly” invisible.

Just so you know.

And I just wanted to tell you guys what has been going on.

I hope you don’t mind and I would love to hear from you!

I will be sharing some more fun and neat stuff this week but wanted to get you caught up on my life.

Bless your hearts.

Why can’t I be all Better Homes and Garden and cool looking and stuff and not feel the need to be all “real” with you guys?

Should I fake it and not tell you all?

Would you rather a wham bam project or is an ottoman here and there ok?

I would love to know what you think!

I love you all!!!

Comments

1. els manning says:

Good for you…!
    and you are totally right. Smart move… and insurance sucks. As does cancer.
    We lost our job a couple months ago. so no insurance either.
    Not much christmas either this year.
    But on the up side i do have good health. I guess i am blessed enough to have good health, and that beats a gift under the tree for sure right?
    And i so hope your sisters beat this ugly “c” monster. I did beat skin cancer a couple years back too. I think it was a warning to appreciate my health. :) Oh hang in there. YOu are so smart about things. Everything! Decorating, Job, Writing so nice, and easy readable… You will be fine. Just hang in there.

2. Gee says:

A HUGE HUG from me. Cancer bites!!! Big time. it took my ‘mom’ ( a lady I luved like a mother, treated me as a daughter) 2 years ago.. diagnosed, and gone in 6 months!!!! I still cry….
    I too have had a big health tada!! this year. My anemia got the better of me and I ended up in hospital, then, had to have iron infusions at the cancer center. There is that word again… Hate it!
    Some times life does get in the way of what we want to do…
    HUGS, Gee

3. Shelley says:

Welcome back! We have missed you. I understand how life can sneak up on you. I have only made three blog entries this year, myself. And even though my blog focuses on baking, none of this year’s posts have been even distantly related to baking.

Hopefully, life will slow down for you (and me) and the great blogosphere will be the better for it. Until then, the occasional short post, unrelated topic, or ordinary (not Wham! Bam!) project will at least keep the readers entertained.

Glad to hear your sisters and you are doing well!

4. I’m so glad to hear from you. And yes, of course I missed you. You’re a very unique individual, one who I hope I can honestly call friend, even though we’ve never met, or even spoken verbally. So, taking that job was a totally appropriate thing for you to do. Like you wrote-win.win. I marveled at all you did before, I really marvel now at the ottoman I noticed in its 1st appearance in today’s post. I know what you mean about the legs disappearing. It happens I haven’t been posting regularly because of mystery, no one can figure out health problems. My head has this strong desire to dive to the floor totally without warning, as it did today. Very unnerving, very grateful for insurance. My daughter will finally have some through her job Jan.1. So thankful. Love you, Rebecca, keep doing what you have to do–we (at least I) will be here.
    Janet

5. Jane B says:

Bless your heart, too! Yes, cancer sucks. I lost my sister 2 years ago to cancer. She was 8 years younger than me & I miss her so much. She came to my area for cancer treatment every 3 weeks & we got to spend lots of time together, but not nearly enough. My very best to you in your new career.

6. Marsha says:

Rebecca, thanks so much for sharing your life and what’s going on right now. Blogging is not just about pretty pictures. It’s about your story, what ever that is from day to day. As a fellow Cancer surviver, I know and I’m sure you do too, that somethings are just more important than blogging. That’s not to take away from the blogging world. I enjoy it very much and I know you do also. But please don’t feel like blogging all the time is an obligation. Just blog when you have time and something to share. We will be waiting to here from you. I will pray that everything goes well for you. And I will continue to be your blog friend!! Share when you can …..don’t worry if you can’t. Best to you and your family.

7. Rebecca, Thank you for sharing all this. If I want to read Better Homes & Gardens, I’ll go buy one. I’d rather know what’s going on with you – whether that’s an ottoman or a career change. You are amazing, and good for you for tackling this new challenge. Blessings to you and your family. xo.

8. Stacey says:

I have missed you… I haven’t had a lot of time to read my blogs lately but I always wonder what you are up to. I used my spray painting thingamajig today so I was especially thankful for you! So glad you sisters are doing well & that you are able to make a change in you career & obtain insurance. I know how important it is to have…I hope you find a fantastic job & never EVER have to use the insurance. My daddy is sick & we are waiting to hear if he has liver cancer…he got the news yesterday that his liver is full of tumors & the dr is 99.9% sure that it is cancer…not exactly what we were hoping to hear. This is my first experience with cancer up close & personal & I must say I am scared to death.

9. Nicole says:

Yeah. Cancer. Enough said.

I’m so grateful to be living in Canada and having free healthcare, you have no idea.

Please don’t feel pressured to be a frequent blogger. You have enough on your plate. Blogging should be fun and should not be a chore. that’s my reasoning anyway.

Good luck with your new endeavours!

10. Paula says:

Rebecca, thanks for sharing everything you share whether it’s your latest burst of creativity or the need to let us know what’s going on with you and your family. Unfortunately, reality is not “Dancing with the Stars” or “American Idol.” It usually feels more like “Biggest Loser”…lol….especially when you have to admit that you don’t have health insurance (I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t have it either). But we just keep going and do the best we can do and pray we don’t get sick. Blessings to you and all whose lives you touch. Just throw us a line or two every now and then so we can keep up with you! : ))

11. Sue says:

I enjoy the blogging world. I like the eye candy, the projects and the ideas. However, sometimes, I read posts and I don’t have the “nicest” response in my head, because a blogger is prattling on about the color of her couch being all wrong or someone is tearing out a perfectly nice kitchen (a kitchen I would love to have) for something bigger and better and I think…there are more pressing problems, get real. Then I realize, we are all in different places and the blogging world can be an escape so I can’t dump on someone just because they’re not in the same place as me.
    Health care should be a right for everyone in this country, not something that some people are fortunate to have Parents should not have to run their finances into bankruptcy because they or a child is ill. I could get on my political soapbox because I believe passionately that there are important issues that must be dealt with for each citizen and healthcare is right up there, since, if you haven’t got your health, nothing matters.
    Blog when you can or want to. You owe your readers what YOU choose to share. Right now, your current situation may be a connection that someone can relate to. Life can be hard, sad and very messy. I treasure the humanity that can flow between people on the web. I also believe that sharing burdens may help them seem lighter, if only for a short moment.
    Take care of yourself and choose what is best for you. Remember that sometimes, others can give back to you for a change and are happy to do so.

12. Tracey Wilson says:

Reading your blog today has made me stop and think.Wow. I am do lucky to have great health, and living in Canada as a nurse,great health care, too. Sometimes I am not so grateful for all that I have……you are showing me this. Bless you, and sending a hug thru the computer :)

13. imklvr says:

Oh, girl. I’m almost speechless here. I am so grateful to you for sharing this Sometimes life hits us and we get going on the ol’ pity-party. I, personally can throw a DANDY of a pity-party with no planning involved! But you remind me that life is great. Life can throw you crap and you make a pie out of it! (Not litteraly though, like in “The Help”!).. Don’t know what I”m trying to say, here, just that I appreciate you so much. You know, I’ve been following you nigh on to 2 years, I think! Huh. and I “talk” to you more than some of my friends! So, bottom line……thank you for keepin’ it real…….God bless you……and I’ll be praying for you and your new career! Dona

14. I love hearing the real parts! And it’s awesome that you’re embarking in something new so you can have what you want/need. Bravo!!
    As far as not blogging much due to life, work, family, or nothing “amazing” to show us… well I suffer from that too. At the end of the day, sometimes the only creative thing I can manage is to log onto Pinterest and grin at everyone else’s creativity.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us, and I’m so pleased your sisters are doing well!!

15. trish banner says:

Just so you know

I LOVE you and everything you said. You are so fantastic. The best… Thank you for taking the time to share and be real, yuck and all. Your humor still comes through. LOVE it. Breath of fresh air!

: )

16. Amy Hoyt says:

I love the “real” stuff much more than the “fake” stuff, so I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me I will take you real if its okay with you. You bring common sense, wit, and a unique insight that seems to be all you, and that is far better than anything BH&G has. If I want Better Homes or Martha Stewart (ewwww!), I know where to find them.
    So be who you are! I feel that is why we all follow you, because you are one of God’s special people, and we all see that whether we know what we are looking at or not.
    Glad to hear that your sisters are doing well.

17. Jo Ann says:

That’s for sharing. You are so cool, I’ve always loved reading your blog, love your humor. All the best to you and your sisters. I’ve had and beat cancer! Keep smiling! And when you can all you do another post on that new Valspar paint? Thanks:)

18. I have been wondering about you! I am so glad your sisters are doing well. So sorry for all that all of you have had to face. Congratulations on your new career! Bright days are ahead for you, just keep on keeping on, and it will all work out.
    By all means, be honest, tell us the bad along with the good. If you have a project to show us, even a tiny project, wonderful. If not, for heaven’s sake just get on here and let us know how you are doing!!! The most wonderful thing about blogging, in my opinion, is the wonderful people, the warmth and genuine feeling of friendship, across the many miles that separate us. So, let us in, let us share the joys and sorrows. Sending you hugs and blessings.

19. Pat@BPM says:

I have shared it all…warts and all at the Back Porch. I don’t mind if you do too.:-) It’s good to hear about your career change. All the best to you with that and with your health!

Your little ol’ ottoman is cute as can be!

20. Shannon Fox says:

We love you because you’re REAL. No on lives inside a magazine. I get real on facebook all the time. I visit, vent and get silly. If I waited till I had something “big” I would blog about once a year ;) LOL! You know I understand all to well about insurance, cancer… and crap!

21. Karen Morris says:

Prayers are with you. Would much rather hear about the wonderful way you’ve decided to meet the obstacles we encounter in life than how we decorate our homes. We all dream and strive to create the “perfect” dream home, but when it comes to the real joys of life, good health and family always win. Please keep us posted Rebecca. We want to learn your decorating secrets, but we also want to know about your “real” life. Thank you for sharing!

22. Dish it girl! we want to support by listening, caring and loving you back!! good luck in your new role, I am sure you will land the right job with benefits that will give you peace of mind when you need it most. Were both your sisters diagnosised at the same time? Wow. My mom is a cancer survior- 25 years, breast.

23. Holly says:

Good for you!! … for being honest and for keeping priorities straight and for keeping it real for the rest of us. I’d much rather follow and read someone’s blog and know that they’re representing “Real” life… because, let’s be honest… none of us are BHG. All of us have stuff, hard stuff, going on in real life. When we are willing and able to share that with others, it’s hard to do, but it allows us the opportunity to support you and be there for you for the hard stuff! You should be proud of taking care of yourself… I am proud to follow your blog knowing that you keep it real for the rest of us!

24. Thank you so much for keeping it real, although I’m sorry that life has dealt your family so many challenges lately. I’m glad to hear that your sisters are both doing well, and yeah for you embarking on a new career with an eye toward taking care of yourself. Sometimes, we women forget to take care of ourselves.

You definitely need affordable health insurance. You can’t be worrying about how you’re going to pay your medical bills when/if you need treatment. You just need to be able to go to the doctor without worrying that it will bankrupt you.

As someone who blogs and who reads blogs, I like both the pretty pictures and the real-ness. We want inspiration, but we also want to get to know the people behind the blogs.

I personally get intimidated by blogs where everything seems “so perfect.”

Thought I wish I wasn’t, I’m the kind of person who thinks, “if she can do it all, why can’t I?” So, for my own sanity and self esteem, I need to hear from other bloggers who are busy juggling life. It reminds me that I don’t have to do it all or perfectly.

25. I’m so glad to hear your sisters are doing well. Fingers crossed that they recover quickly. I know how it can make you worry though. My hubby’s aunt & uncle were diagnosed w/ cancer within a month of each other and they both died 3 months later leaving 17 and 19 year old kids. It made me panic. But, I realized that just because it could happen, doesn’t mean it will. I recently went back to work as well. My husband is self employed and insurance is crazy expensive, so I went back to work mostly to get the insurance. Turns out I LOVE my new job and actually enjoy going to work! I have a lot of responsibility, my work is appreciated and I’m also learning new things. I hope things go well for you too! I will be watching for another post, but if they’re few and far between, I know you’re busy! Good luck!

26. Linda says:

Wow Rebecca, thank you for trusting us with what you are going through. I will be praying for you and your sisters. God has good things planned for you. I know you will be okay.
    By the way- love the ottoman and that fabric. Would you share the name of your drapery fabric?

Please visit the French Hen’s Nest anytime. Glad to hear from you again.

Linda

27. Beautiful post…bless you! Good luck with your new endeavor. Thanks for sharing my geeky post on facebook. I came by to link it up to your Meet Me Monday linky so I’ll be back when you host it again :)

Shasta @InTheOldRoad

28. Debbie says:

Just stopping by to give you a kiss and a hug :)

29. I am so happy that you shared all of it with us Rebecca. I’m so happy to hear that your sisters are doing well. Cancer is so scary. I can’t imagine the stress of it being so close without insurance. I’m so glad you have wonderful friends and have exciting new adventures ahead. I love your projects but I love your heart & your sharing!! Big {{HUGS}} from Texas!!- Lori

30. Stephanie says:

just dropping a line to let you know you’re in my thoughts (hope that doesn’t seem too weird, as I know we’ve never met) hope all is well. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. God’s blessings to you and your family.

31. debbiedoos says:

Big hugs to you girl….you sure have a lot on your plate!~ Hang in there, it will get better.

32. Denise Williams says:

Rebecca,
    I’m really sorry to hear about your sisters. I didn’t know. I am so glad they’re both doing well. Cancer does suck. My mom’s came back last December. So far she’s doing well, but it has been hard, as I’m sure you know. I hope you find a good job soon with great benefits. I remind myself how fortunate I am to have a great job that I love with benefits. So many are without all of those things. I’ll continue to pray for you and your family.

Love you so much,
    Denise Williams :)

33. Nancy says:

I was just googling “caring for frye boots” when I “stumbled” upon you!! I can’t wait to read older posts now. Yea, I hate the “C” word too. I lost my mother to the beast and she lost all of her siblings to cancer. My husband lost his mother at 16 & his father at 27. All different forms of cancer…. all deadly. My mother, husband & I worked together so her absence is still fresh even after 2 years. We probably shouldn’t have had children, but our lives would be soooooo boring without them!! Enough said…blah, blah. My husband & I work in real estate, own the business and our town is not oozing with jobs. Our children have insurance, we don’t and haven’t had any for 8 years. So far, so good except for one surgery. Your usually can work a deal (sometimes 1/2 price) with your physician. My mother had TriCare insurance due to my Dad’s military career. We paid out of pocket $800 +/- total. She took radiation & chemo……… it would have been an astronomical bill. So, I told my husband recently, “hey, let’s get divorced and each marry someone in the military!!” Seriously, we just plug away & deal with each day as it comes. Enough.. enough already… sorry. Good luck with your balancing act. I feel your pain. I’m sure all of this will make sense some day. Until then, we will grow mighty strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!