“One step” Craft Ribbon Organizers

I just scored a bunch of ribbon at a yard sale and was googling around looking for “Craft ribbon organizers”. A ton of the DIY organizers were pretty fancy and required dowels, hardware, hard work… etc. etc.etc. and well….

I’m lazy.

The NON DIY ones cost a pretty penny and well…….

I’m cheap.

So, do you want one of those “slap your forehead” DUH moments?

I know, right? That easy.

I had these two trash bags full of awesome ribbon that I scored for $15.00. I hemmed and hawed at spending $15.00 btw.

So, now I had the ribbon but what to do with it?

I know myself and if it is not in an easy to reach place I will not use them.

So, after ruling out the DIY and NON-DIY’er version.

I created the “Lazy and Cheapskate” DIY version.

You’re welcome.

I had these extra “pants or slacks” hangers.

Add the ribbon.

TA-DAH!

A couple of tips.

At first I was sliding them on the “bars” with no order, like this….

Great that way but I realized that placing them by color would be much more productive.

PS. I do my closet the same way. It makes finding an outfit much easier.

See….much easier to find the color you need.

Tip #2.

I’m using a clear rubber band around the ends of my “dowels or rods” to keep the ribbons from sliding off. If yours have larger holes, you may want bigger rubber bands. This was an easy way to keep them from sliding. Of course this is the untwisted photo of the rubber band. I just wanted you to be able to see it.

Tip #3. Tape the loose ends of the ribbon to keep them from un-spooling. My hubby is doing this for me as I type. He has never looked sexier. For real.

That easy and now I can hang them “away” in an extra closet.

DUH! Slap my forehead and call me crazy! ; )

Think you could use this idea?

Perfect for gift wrapping ribbon too!

Wait until you see another way I re-used my pants hangers.

I will share that tomorrow!

Do you say “pants” or “slacks”?

Do you like this easy alternative to a fancy craft ribbon organizer?

Let me know!

PS. I’m linking up to:

Comments

1. Lori says:

I do like this idea!! If I had a closet to hang them away in!! I used old curtain rods we had in another house that didn’t fit here… But you have to have the wall space to do that!! And I need more rods {a little bit of a ribbon junky, hoarder, whatever you’d like to describe it as}. I love ribbon!! Great tip thanks for sharing!! ~ Lori

2. debbiedoos says:

That is awesome girl. I would LOVE that thing!

3. Indiengmom says:

Love the idea. is that metal hanger? if possible, may be one can bend the end with pliar a little bit upward to keep the rolls from falling out. Also this could be used to store bangles and bracelets… btw I always say”pants”.

• Rebecca says:

A “pants” girl! : ) Perfect for jewelery as well!!! Great idea on the bending but I wanted something easily removable to take spools on and off if needed. Thank you so much for sharing your great ideas….it “triggers” me into more ideas!!! Thank you! Love, Me

4. You so smart! I NEED to organize my studio. My whole house. My life. Help!!

5. You have no idea how much I need this right now! I have all of my ribbon all mixed up in a big bin…how smart are you???

6. Linda says:

Another great idea that I will use. Duh, why didn’t I think of that!

Thank you!

Linda

7. I have to admit that when I seen the first image, my first thought was that it was tension rods hanging in some unique spot. That would not work for me.

BUT, after seeing that you actually used pant hangers….that would work perfect for how I want to house my ribbons, which I want to hang them in a repurposed armoire. Of course, I think the armoire would be pretty much be dedicated to housing just my ribbon “collection.” I inherited from my grandma about as much of the same kind of ribbon that you have & then I have much more. I also sort mine by color right now in an old vhs video cabinet, & other places.

I need to be on the hunt for those kind of hangers now at my thrift store and hopefully garage sales soon!

8. Colette Weber says:

Great idea!!! Still painting and getting new home organized…when I get to that room-I want to use this idea!!! I might go get a couple pants hangars for this very use!!! Thank you!!! Keep sensing great ‘slap your forehead’ ideas!!!!

9. nelda says:

use a clothes pin or bag clip on the end instead of a rubber band. easier to remove to get to the ribbon