Quick and Easy way to make ceramic tile AND hardwood sparkle and shine!

I don’t know about you but my life is sooooo busy that sometimes my housekeeping gets behind.

I have a quick fix that I have used for years to make my rooms sparkle.

I found out about it when I used to clean condos on the weekends when I was younger.

Should I make my life sound more glamorous?

Nahhhhh……

So, this morning….I used that secret and thought, what the heck….I should share it.

I like to be germ and cootie free….as much as is possible in my house.

But there are times that i don’t have time for a deep clean.

And never fail….when I do skip the deep clean……my family or whomever comes by, makes a comment about how clean and “sparkly” the house is.

It always makes me laugh……

Inside.

Outside, I just act like it is super clean and I always keep it that way.

Then I laugh.

Inside again.

Because….honestly?

I know that I just gave everything a wipe down.

BUT it’s what I’m using to wipe them down with that makes the difference.

I literally had about 20 minutes before I left for work today.

So, I grabbed the old familiar and did my quickie “shine”.

Want to know my secret ingredient?

Are you ready ?

Seriously.

I used this upstairs and a Walmart generic brand downstairs.

No difference between brands but the multi-surface of each is my favorite.

If I have time to do my deep clean….well, I even use “Windex” after to give everything a “sparkle”.

Use it on your stainless steel sinks, faucets etc.

Even your tub after cleaning…..

It’s freaking you out, isn’t it?

But it’s the truth.

Want everything to sparkle?

Well….I grabbed these photos after my quickie clean…..and if I do say so myself….it *sparkles*.

It’s a house keepers secret.

For real.

And before you get all cranky about using this on my floors.

My floors are seventeen years old.

I am a hardwood floor-ologist. I am picky about cleaning my floors. I have used EVERYthing….from special cleaners down to vinegar and hot water. I can’t stand film, streaks or water spots.

So, I don’t say to spray this thinking it is a hardwood cleaner. Use at your own risk but know that my floors have survived for over 17 years and look pretty, dang good.

And before you judge me on how we must take extra special care of our house to look this “sparkly”.

Our house has been and is, HEAVILY lived in.

Tons of pool parties…sleepovers….boyfriends, neighbors, cousins…..you get it.

Shoes on the floor.

Walkers.

Snake boots.

Flat irons.

Hot pots.

You name it.

We’ve lived it and live it.

So….convinced?

Or just scared to eat off my counters now?

I would love to know.

Do you need quickie ways to make your house *sparkle*?

Talk to me people.

I can’t wait to hear from you!

PS. This is NOT an ad! Walmart and Windex are not impressed with my house keeping skills. I just thought I would share it with ya’. XOXO!

PPS. FOLLOW MY BLOG! Subscribe to email and follow on Facebook. There is a ton more going on Facebook than I can post here! It is a fun place to hang out! So happy to have you here! Plus, I am LOVING Twitter and Instagram! Let’s get to know each other. Click on subscribe in the right sidebar!

I’m linking up to:

www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

Tip Junkie

www.atthepicketfence.com

Comments

1. Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!! I have used regular windex on everything for years and years. It works great if you get a stain on your carpet too, no kidding. It’s one of the greatest products EVER!!! Oh and by the way, I have been a horrible follower and not been here since the blog revamp. It’s awesome girl…love it!!!

• Rebecca says:

I have been a horrible follower as well! You know what a friend (Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage) said. When we are working hard on our blogs we are awful at following other blogs. So, it’s a good thing and a bad thing. It always fun to catch up! I have yours come to my inbox which helps but do not take the time to comment! Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing that we are kindred “Windex sisters”. Now you can post about your secret stain remover! ; ) Then post it on my Monday party next week! We will take the world by Windex storm! LOL! Love, Me

2. Gee says:

**mouth hanging open here**
    I luv a clean house :-) Now that I am working I feel overwhelmed, and I find myself doing a lot after dinner , but I am never pleased with the results. But this tip is sweet!!! Luv the ‘sparkle’ on your surfaces. Sooo using this!
    Thanks for sharing. Watch out surfaces… good buy multiple cleaning supplies!
    Cheers, Gee

3. els manning says:

So gonna try this! Thanks for the tip. My tip would be wipe down with baby wipes before company. Use it to wipe toilets, floor and sink. But does not do the sparkle! Super excited to try!

• Rebecca says:

I love the baby wipe tip! I use that with Lysol wipes when I want to rid of germs quickly. Now you can add shine and wipe down at the same time! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Love, Me

4. Vanessa says:

I use the same stuff Rebecca!!! And I totally agree that it makes everything super sparkly. I feel so “in the know” now. LOL! Your floors are gorgeous too by the way. :-)

• Rebecca says:

We will stick together with our “traditional” style and Windex secrets! ; ) Thanks about the floors. We actually used the “stuff” they use on gym floors when we built the house. Has definitely kept them pretty hardy! Thanks for stopping by! Love, Me

5. Toby says:

Love the idea. I love sparkle and bling bling……Thanks for sharing.

• Rebecca says:

Hey Toby! I love comments but I ESPECIALLY love comments from old friends! What a fun way to re-connect! Thank you for stopping by! Love, Me

6. Does it Make the floors slick?As a young bride I used Pledge to shine the bedroom floor.I still get a chuckle remembering how my husband looked flat out in the doorway after he came home from work.Married 48 years.

• Rebecca says:

That is a great question and nope. I actually did the Pledgeon MY STAIRS!!! Big mistake!!! Thank you so much for asking that. I just use for quickie shine, not to clean btw…….So glad you are here! Make sure to subscribe so you can stick around! Love, Me

7. My Big Fat Greek Wedding! Windex cures everything! Beautiful shine on those floors and countertops!

8. Cathy says:

I buy windex in the largest refill size I can. I use it on almost everthing.

9. Oooh…I am gonna get me some of that! I wish it would do the dishes too!!!

10. So how exactly do you apply/wipe up the Windex on the floors? I absolutely hate the streaks I’m getting from most wood cleaners, so I’d love some specifics so mine can shine again!
    Thanks for the post!!

• Rebecca says:

Jeannine, I just saw this comment was from you. Sorry it is taking me so long to get to all the comments. Tell me about your floors first. I have lived hardwood nightmares! Let me see if I can help. Do you know what yours are coated with?

11. Literally stopping what I am doing to go try this right this second…

12. Verdict in…

I used 409 multi-surface cleaner. Definitely cleaner, but not the sparkle like you have in your pictures. I’ll have to get the windex brand and see if it makes a difference. Tried it on my wood floors (100 year old house and probably not sealed like they should be) and linoleum floor (clean but not shiny).

Thanks for the inspiration! Will get some of the other product and try it out. : )

• Rebecca says:

I think my poly makes mine shiny. My windex (or generic) just makes them sparkle. Good luck and let me know how it works! Love, Me

13. Sheila says:

Love this post. So informative. I love to “quickly” make things sparkle. I have something that I do every time I do dishes that most people don’t do but it keeps my faucet looking like new. I wash it and then dry it with a paper towel after I finish the dishes. It sparkles and there is never a water spot. I didn’t realize that someone had picked up on me doing this until one day my brother-in-law was doing my dishes after a special dinner we had at the house. I saw him dry the faucet off (something they don’t do at their house). When I asked about it, he said I know how you like your faucet to shine and I didn’t want to leave the job unfinished. I just chuckled.

• Rebecca says:

#1 you have a thoughtful bro-in-law. #2 you sound like a woman after my own heart! I love a sparkle! I am funny about that with chrome or stainless faucets. I always wipe with a dry towel too! We might be dangerous together! Love, Me

14. debbiedoos says:

Well now I must go out and get some!~ How pretty and so sparkly clean yes:)

15. Karen says:

Just curious what you use when you deep clean your wood floors ~ thanks.

• Rebecca says:

Hey Karen! I use Bruce’s hardwood floor cleaners for Polyeurathane coated floors. Mine were covered with what is used on gym floors. My sister and I both used it because of it’s durability. She used it first and then we did. You have to use gas mask etc. Strong stuff but it holds up. Poly coated floors are tough to clean. Lots of stuff leaves a film or just a dull look, even though they are durable. After much searching I found a group of people with same issues and Bruce’s was a favorite. I have used and never looked back. LOVE it! I hope that helps! Love, Me

16. deanna martin says:

I just moved into a house with 17 year old hardwood floors…so I bought me a bottle of Windex multi surface and I will give it a try!!! Thanks!!

• Rebecca says:

Hey girl! Just make sure they have a seal on them! Mine do and I don’t want to make you think Windex gives them a polish or layer of gloss. It just shines up my layer! Are you going to think I am stupid for making that clear? ; ) I just wanted to make sure! I hope it does add some sparkle! Love, Me

17. Shannon Fox says:

I do mini quicky-cleans. I wipe down the counters while brushing my teeth, keep a broom by the back door and sweep the entry area a few times a day between vacuuming, I take something up when I go up, and down when the stairs to keep clutter in it’s place. Stuff like that. I love those little Clorox wipes. I use those for fast clean ups too. That way nothing gets really dirty in between “clean cleaning”.

18. Jennifer says:

Ok..what about the wooden cabinets? On those, too?

19. Angie P. says:

As a residental cleaner myself, was wondering if you used it on the kitchen cabinets? They look nice and sparkley also! I will look for the multi-purpose. Haven’t noticed that in stores..Thanks for sharing.

20. sa scrap says:

I have done the windex thing for quite awhile, I learned it from my mom. She used it for everything! She even had to convince a friend of hers to use it vs an upholstery or carpet cleaner for spot cleaning, after the demo her friend was convinced! Love having just one product that does so much!!!!

21. cid says:

love this idea, going to try it tomarrow

22. cid says:

great idea, going to try this tomarrow. i had a aunt, that had a very clean home every time you went there. when i got older i asked her how she kept her house so clean all the time and she said that she always walked around the house with a rag in her hand wipeing things when she saw something that needed to be wiped. i bet she used windex on that cloth!

23. Missy Riddick says:

Not only does the Windex work but if you really want some SUPER SHINY faucets….used green alcohol on them. For some reason the green is the only one that works but its awesome!

• Rebecca says:

I will have to try that Missy! Thank you for letting me know! I wonder what it is in the green alcohol?! Thank you! Love, Me

24. Peggy says:

Love this idea. Can’t wait to try. Love my house Clean. I keep Clorax wipes in bathrooms when I need a quick clean on the toliet. Also Keep baby wipes in kitchen to spot clean floor..

25. Peggy says:

Just stopping by to invite you to My Wednesday Linky party. http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/10/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-linky-party-6.html

26. Wow what a wonderful post about cleaning and Windex! I usually use 409 on everything. My jaw is still open just looking at your bath tub with wooden step up. LOVE IT!

27. Really?? You use Windex on hardwood floors?? I love the sparkle you’re showing here–I haven’t used Windex in a long time, but I’m going to get some! Thanks for the tip!

28. Carol says:

I don’t have hardwood or ceramic tile counters, but I do have manufactured marble in the bathrooms and granite in the kitchen & will definitely be trying this. I usually use a window cleaner called Sprayway, which is a foam cleaner that I get from Costco. It’s an excellent window cleaner, & I use it on my stainless appliances. I’ll be trying this on my counters.

29. holly says:

you have made me excited to clean! i love it when my house SHINES! thanks for sharing your tip :)
    (visiting from imparting grace)

30. kathy says:

That Windex product will be in my cart next time I’m at Walmart. Thanks!

31. Heather Walker says:

The builder of our home recommended a ratio of 1:3 ammonia free Windex and water with Windex being the small number. I have done this for years and my wood floors look brand new!

32. You’ve convinced me to try it! Beautiful results. Hoping it works on my shower. :) Visiting from At the Picket Fence.

33. Hi Rebecca, I live in Australia and we have Windex here too. I also swear by it for use on everything!!! Nothing else can make your home sparkle like this stuff. AND it’s super cheap! People think I’m crazy when I say I even use it on my nice wooden furniture, but it does the best job! I usually just do spot cleans on my hardwood floors. I was wondering how you clean your floors? Spray and mop? Your home looks amazing BTW. :) x Julie @ Restyle Relove

34. addie says:

So all you use is windex multisurface to make ceramic and wood shine?!

35. Diane says:

Do you know if it is safe to use on ceramic tile??

36. Janice says:

Do you know if it would be safe to use on Granite Countertops?

37. amelia says:

Hi what if you are allgeric to windex? Is there something else you can use? And your house look great. Thx amelia

• Rebecca says:

What is it that you are allergic to, that is in Windex? Narrow that down and then maybe find a good all natural window cleaner. Let me know. I will google away and try to help. : ) XOXO!

38. Angie says:

I use Windex to clean every surface in my house ! I have for years & I LOVE it !! :-D

39. Marlene Huddleston says:

I love it…thanks for sharing…will certainly give this a try…:)

40. Barbara says:

Thanks for the tip. Will surely try it!!

41. Amber Saini says:

Trying this now

42. Kelly says:

Great tip! I’m anxious to try it on my SS appliances! Does anyone have a suggestion as to what type of cloth, sponge, etc. to use to avoid streaks? I’ve heard that professionals use newspaper on the windows, but didn’t know what’s best for the appliances. Thanks!

43. Jane Clegg says:

Recently moved into a brand new home with ceramic floors, the floors are dull from the grout. I tried using floor Bona floor cleaner and gloss….it looked great the first time around, but keeping the shine was terrible. I will definetly try the windex solution.

44. Silvia says:

So, do I spray the floor with the Windex and then use a sponge mop to clean it up? You never stated how you do it.

• Rebecca says:

Silvia, I use a soft cloth and windex on floor on my hands and knees. You could spray small sections and use a swifter style tool with soft cloth attached. I do my counters with a paper towel and by hand. Hope it works for you! XO!

45. Geri Ann says:

Can it be any Windex or does it need to be the multipurpose one you have in picture

46. Love this! I’m trying this today! Okay, I don’t think I want to know what “snake boots” are?
    My Friday Favorites opens at 6pm, MST tonight! Would love you to link this up at http://imnotatrophywife.com!

And, I love your blog title! My kids say this to me all the time! laura

47. Tattylashes says:

Hi, I am in the UK and have never heard of Windex is there an equivalent product that would do the same that we can purchase here, I really hope so my bathroom wall tiles always just look short of a nice sparkle and I would be over the moon if I could find something that gives a result like you have on your pics…………………..Thanks xx xx

• Rebecca says:

I have heard about a product that is called Mr. Muscle that is supposed to be similar. Look for the ingredient alcohol and ammonia in the products. Good luck! XO!

• Rebecca says:

Ok….I also googled and found the product named Windowlene Badder Fluid. Here is what I found on ingredients. Maybe compare to the products that I found. Good luck again! Ingredients: 4.0% isopropyl alcohol (a highly volatile solvent) 1% ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (a less volatile solvent), 0.1% sodium lauryl sulfate (a surfactant), 0.01% tetrasodium pyrophosphate (a water softener), 0.05% of 28% ammonia, 1% of a dye solution, and 0.01% perfume

48. gaby says:

I am impressed by your Windex tips. I am living in the Netherlands, we have no Windex here
    Can you tell mee the ingredients, so that I can compare this with Dutch products?
    Thanks

49. Rinal says:

Is it Windex Advanced Glass & Multi Surface Cleaner 32oz Spray or Windex Economy Size Vinegar Multi-Surface Cleaner-32 oz? Is it with Vinegar or with Ammonia? I could not find the exact bottle in walmart :(

50. Cherryboo65 says:

You’re right! I used winded on my stainless steel bathroom items, they have never been more shiny! Thank you, the rest of my home is waiting.

51. Kate says:

I to am a Windex addict…I also cut rolls of paper towels in half .. remove the cardboard tube inside of roll and place towels inside a plastic tub.., Like the baby wipe tubs….Poor Windex in the tub and let paper towels absorb…Than you have windex wet ones at your disposal for quick clean ups….they work great….