Because you asked 3

I’m a woman of my word I tell ya’.
I told you that I would get to the details on our pool and how we achieved what we did on a budget…..
So….I started with the shower hut scoop…..here.
And now I would like to talk about the “secrets” of my fireplace…..
Ready?
I know already what you are thinking.
Not because I have ESP but because I have heard it before.
“I would love to have a fireplace like that but there is NO WAY we could afford it or make something like that.”
So before you start your “argument” let me share some things.
I’m not lying when I said this pool area was done on a budget.
You know me by now.
I share the good……the bad…..and the ugly
I am being honest.
Here is how we achieved the fireplace.
This fireplace consists of two important elements.
#1. An interior fireplace with tubing (chimney) and fireproof box surrounding it.
And
#2. A plywood casing that we created based on just a sketch of how I wanted it to look with a protective exterior

Let’s start with the “interior fireplace” element.
I bought this fireplace in the “BC” era….
You know what that means don’t you?
That’s right…..
“Before Craigslist”.
; )
Somebody was advertising in the classifieds of our newspaper that they were selling a used indoor fireplace and I called and asked them if they would take $100.00 for it.
They were asking way more.
They took $100.00.
I had plans for this fireplace and we didn’t even have our cabana yet.
But I knew it would all fall in place eventually.
We are bloggy best friends and I know what you are thinking now…..

I NEVER GET DEALS LIKE THAT!
Well…. let me just nip your whiny…. hineys…. in – the – bud.
Please see the following:

I just googled those in fifteen seconds….gas and wood burning.
Ha ha….Told ya’ they were there!
Quitch ya’ belly aching…..
This is the important part in today’s post.
Are you ready?
Get your copy tool ready and highlight and save this please………
If it is something you have always dreamed of having….then find a way to make it happen.
For real.
Amen.
With this fireplace…..
I mentioned this idea to everyone and everyone hemmed and hawed and acted like it was impossible.
I knew it was possible.
Therefore….I had to work to make it happen.
I have people all the time see things I get at yard sales or Craigslist or put together from either/or……
And they will say, “I WISH I COULD GET A DEAL LIKE THIS”.
But…..
When I invite them to leave with me on Saturdays at 7am or say the need to spend a few minutes a day looking for the deals….they usually back out.
To get these deals….it takes a little more effort.
But if you want it bad enough…..you can make it happen in the budget you have.
I BET some of you could even get a fireplace for free. I’m serious……
That’s how much I believe it.
Now….let’s carry on….shall we?
You may be questioning using an interior fireplace on an exterior place.
You may have fallen asleep at the length of this post……
But, I used what I found that fit my budget.
I needed the “chimney” intact because I knew there was no way I was going to try to figure out how to fireproof and build all of that……

Ours is under the cabana but not totally sheltered from the elements and it has been fine.

And I do not mind the weathered look of the rust. I actually like it.
It was actually rusty when I got it.
I think I may have spray painted it then….but I like it that way now.
Maybe because I’m lazy but nonetheless….I like it.
If you do not want it looking rusty….keep spray painting it black…..
Get the picture?
Got some tough love in me today don’t I?
Dang…maybe I need some chocolate…..
Matter of fact…I do.
But let’s move on to the second element…..plywood box and protective exterior.
If you can’t do it and someone you know that can….. is not bribed with BBQ …you may have to hire someone.
Those elements are what determines your budget.
But some of the fireplaces I found….they don’t even need a box or exterior finish….so look for one that fits your needs.
Here is how I achieved our stucco like finish.
Big time cheap.
I used exterior paint that we had, and put a bunch a bunch of playground sand in it.
For real.
I “applied” and “painted” it on like I had seen my brickers do, without all the cursing and spitting.
No experience.
Zilch.
And it worked.
Has stood up to the elements and I pressure wash it every year.
Got this “fake” tile…it’s styrofoam from TJMAXX clearance and it has been up there since day one.
It’s lasted fine too.
I think I may have painted some kind of sealant on it….it seems like I did…but  if I did….it would have been like a spray can kind.
Simple and sweet.
Was I too harsh?
I don’t mean to be!
I’m not a home genius.
It is just about seeing something that you want….and making it happen.
Dream bigger than wreaths…..or pillows…unless that is your dream!
Then stick with that.
But if you want more……
Make it happen.
ps…..CLICK ON THE TITLE OF MY BLOG SO YOU CAN CATCH UP ON NEW POSTS!
ps I’m linking up to:
http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/ (Tuesday party)

Comments

1. Becky says:

Rebecca, How cool is that! You’re my kinda girl. Your post shows us all that
    there’s nothin’ wrong with using your head instead of your check book!
    Anyone can end up with a beautiful space.
    When we built our first home we did it on a tiny budget and came in on budget.
    We had the same principles that you did.
    When we decided to build our dream home NO one believed we could do it on the budget we planed,,, tiny for the size home we designed. We did it again!
    Thank for sharing your beautiful space, Becky

2. Cherie says:

I love it. That is what I tell people when they ask me how and where I get the furniture in my house. I tell time and effort and do it cheaply. You like the lines, but hate the color REDO IT! Doesnt take much, just time and effort people.
    I dreamed of a house full of beautiful things and I am working towards that goal.

3. Cherie, You are so right about re-doing. That is ONE good thing about what this economy situation can teach us all. We start looking at ways to re-do rather than just buy new……..I love making my house a home. Thank you for stopping by and can’t wait to see you again! Love, Me

4. Good job Becky! I love hearing stories like that. It is funny when you can tell that people think there is no way you can get so much for so little. Guess it will have to stay “our little secret” then. More for us : ) Love, me

5. Nordic Girl 2 says:

Love the fireplace. Wish I could have one, but I live on a second floor condo and don’t think the neighbor above would approve of the vent coming up through his deck! I’m on a budget so everything I do has to be cheap and I have to use some imagination. If I can’t think of how to do it, I ask my girlfriends!

6. Celia says:

I absolutely LOVE your spirit!!! Yes, YOU can…whoever you are and just about whatever you want to do….

7. Nordic Girl….you are correct, I do believe it may be an issues with your downstairs neighbors ; ) Aren’t girlfriends great for advice! Even when we don’t want it ; 0 Love, Me

8. Celia…..I absolutely LOVE that you stopped by! Thank you for your words of encouragement too! Keep on coming by! Love, Me

9. Vintage Beachgirl says:

I admire your perseverance……I found out young that if you want something you can have it, you just have to work for it!! But alas, some have never had to do that……a loss for them, they could have learned a lot along the way!! Take care, VBg

10. Kim says:

That is fantastic and love your funny post. Thanks for sharing at WUW!

11. Kheller says:

Love your post! My son is about to graduate college and head off on his own. He was asking me how he could possibly afford to furnish even a tiny apartment. I told him to look around the house and most of our furniture came from thrift stores and garage sales and looks wonderful. I also told him if he was willing to go garage saling with me this summer, we could have everything he would need for next to nothing. I think he is very skeptical but willing to think outside the box. I know he will be pleasantly surprised to find he can have the look he wants without having to spend big money. With my help, he recently made himself a headboard for his bed with nothing more than things we already had. He took some wood we already had and some batting I had bought at the thrift store and some fabric I had from thrifting and made himself a custom headboard. His buddy was envious cause he has never had a headboard but had no money so he went to Goodwill and found the perfect headboard for himself for $10! They are both proud of themselves and willing to do the work to get what they want in life.

12. Thank you for stopping by! Thanks for letting me share. Love, Me

13. Kheller….I don’t know who I am more impressed with…..you, your son or his friend. Sounds like you have done a great job and sounds like he hangs out with some good kids as well. Thanks for stopping by. Love, Me

14. Judy says:

That fireplace is AMAZING!! The photos are really inspiring. Love it. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at http://www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

15. Lovely fireplace. Well done for doing a fantastic job and on a budget too! Thanks for adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays!

16. Rachael@The Little Birdie says:

AWESOME!! A W E S O M E ! Have I mentioned that I think this is awesome? I do. Thanks for linking up at The Little Birdie, I’m featuring your rockin’ DIY fireplace on my Saturday favorites!!

17. Thestoriesofa2z says:

This is brilliant!

18. Vanessa says:

Seriously A-MA-ZING!!! Felt like I was looking at a magazine but with waaayyy more entertaining and informative writing then normally goes into an article! :-) You just blew me away, not only with the fabulousness of this fireplace and how you made it happen, but also with your cut to the chase honesty about how we, too, can make this happen for ourselves. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

19. annie jones says:

Well, you lit a fire under this whiney hiney! That is an awesome project. First time visitor to your blog, instant follower. LOVE your background choice (come visit my blog someday and you’ll know why). Thanks for the details on how to make the fireplace. So cool… um hot.

20. Kimmcl says:

You made a believer out of me! I’m lovin’ this blog. You have an awesome outlook on life and a great sense of humor – enough to make me a follower. Stop by for a visit sometime.
    xoxo,
    Kim

21. I did and am YOUR new follower! Thank you for stopping by but don’t make this your last visit. Love, Me

22. Always enjoy the soothing look of your blog and wonderful, inspiring posts. I am so ready to be your new neighbor! ; ) Love, Me

23. Thank you for making it a favorite and for stopping by! Enjoy every single comment! Love, Me

24. Girl…you are too kind! Thank you for stopping by but make it a habit! Love hearing from you. Love, Me

25. Vanessa…why is it that you can always make me feel so smart with your comments ; ) Love when you stop by. Love, Me

26. We are Twin-kies! Love your humor! Don’t make this a first and keep stopping by. Love your visits! Love, me

27. Kim, I am so thankful that we have found each other! Where do I stop by? Would love to check out your site! Love, Me

28. Christine says:

LOL!! “Dream bigger than wreaths or pillows” is too funny. I had the opportunity for a free fireplace but I didn’t take it at the time. I agree, they are out there. Beautiful work, that is a beautiful sitting area.

29. Came by for a visit from a link on Tip Junkie’s FB page. Your fireplace looks great and I am inspired! We just bought a new house and I’m daydreaming about tearing the huge deck off (I hate decks, personal preference thing) and putting in a pavered patio with a pergola. Everyone says ‘you’re crazy, the deck looks nice and it’s new!’ Well, you’ve inspired me to tell them if they like it so much, come get it! haha. I clicked follow but I have a hard time remembering to check my bloglist Do you have a facebook fan page? That’s my favorite way to keep up with people’s projects. Now I’m off to nose through the rest of your business, er I mean to check your past projects!

30. kim downey says:

BC….very cute! Can’t imagine life without it now! Great job, Kim

31. Kate @ Teaching What Is Good says:

OH.MY.WORD. I stand in awe! I am just learning how to DYI on home projects but I see beautiful things like this and my mouth just drops open. I thought I was doing good putting Christmas lights and garland up around my ceiling rafters when my drop ceiling fell down! You are in a whole ‘nother league. But I’m going to continue to read and learn from you!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful project

32. Del Fla says:

Fantastic.

33. Thank you for confirming that the “free fireplaces” are out there! Hope you find yours when it is the right time. Thank you for coming by! Love, me

34. Hello Rachel. I NEVER check my follow list….I am AWFUL! I am trying to figure out the facebook fan page thing! I consider myself a tad computer savvy and I am having a FIT figuring it out! Have you tried subscribing by email? I will hopefully have it hooked up soon. I’m counting on you staying around until I do….and hopefully after ; ) Love, Me

35. I can’t either Kim. Thanks for stopping by! Love, Me

36. Thanks! Keep on checking in. Love, Me

37. You poor baby! Do you live in my world? Your drop ceiling sounds like something that would happen to me. Stick around….I will make you feel great about yourself ; ) Love, Me

38. ronda says:

I love it.  You work alot like I do.  I call my house the house that DI built.  (DI is a local thrift store.)

39. Starlene Lundrigan says:

Love it. I too want a fireplace but needed some inspiration on how to do it on a budget. Thanks so much!